The UMI Arts Side by Side Program enables UMI Arts Members to run workshops for other Members; to share their knowledge and skills, to encourage further education and skills development and to also provide a fun, safe, community atmosphere for UMI Arts Members to get together and learn side by side.
Past workshops have included:
- Introduction to lino-cut carving & printing
- Beginners wood carving
- Beginners stretching and priming canvas
- Animation workshops (Faciltiated by Australian Film Television and Radio School)
- Beginners painting techniques
- Framing & Stretching works
- Papermaking workshop: Paper pulp, plants and landscape
- Lino printing workshops
- Making art packaging systems for fine art packing and freight
Due to the demand and success of the Side by Side Workshops held at UMI Arts in Cairns, Side by Side: In-Community was developed. With established and experienced artists and crafts people working in the communities of Yarrabah and the Northern Peninsula Area (NPA).
Credits (L-R): Sonja Gibson, Arone Meeks, Kel Williams and Tony Harry, Heather Koowootha,
Harry Bowen and Robert Tommy Pau, Joey Laifoo and Nickeema Williams, Arone Meeks, Kel Williams